Spice up your Christmas Tree this year with a few unexpected and modern Yarn Wrapped Ornaments! The no-needle decorations are an unbelievably easy way to use up leftover skeins and decorate your home with something you love – yarn! Get creative with your color combinations, patterns and ribbon for a unique twist on the classic holiday ornament. Take a look at our Cozy Cabin lookbook for yarn inspiration in modern holiday shades and interesting textures.
Follow along with these step-by-step instructions to find out how to do this yourself.
What you’ll need:
- Styrofoam balls
- Hot glue gun
- Assorted ribbon
- Assorted yarn
- It’s good to have a rough idea of the pattern you want on each ball before you start so you don’t get stumped half way through.
- Pick a styrofoam ball and the desired yarn, and glue the yarn down to anchor it.
- Start coiling the yarn around the styrofoam ball, gluing as you go to keep the yarn in place.
- When you are ready to switch colors, cut the yarn and glue the tail securely in place.
- Now’s the time to get creative! Pick up your second color and continue spiraling around the styrofoam ball.
- Repeat the process to add multiple stripes.
- When your entire styrofoam ball is covered with yarn, cut the strand and glue it down to anchor.
- Clean up any excess glue.
- Cut a piece of ribbon approximately 12 inches long.
- Glue the center of the ribbon to the top of your ornament.
- Once dry, tie the ribbon into a bow or a knot
- And your done! Take a look at some variations of yarn wrapped ornaments we made below for more inspiration
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from the Yarnspirations team!