Lace Infinity Cowl
Lace Infinity Cowl
Boasting three different looks, this versatile crochet cowl is a warm and fashionable must have for cold weather months.
Step 1:Select your options
- Single Size
Approx.38"/96.5cm circumference by 19"/48cm wide
Step 2:Click each color to change it or go with the colors recommended by the designer
Air tr = Air treble crochet - (Use this technique to begin a round of triple crochet at the top of the first stitch (in the air) - Place a slip knot on hook, (yarn over) twice (hold beginning tail to prevent yarn overs from rotating), insert hook on indicated stitch and draw up a loop, (yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook) 3 times.
Ch(s) = Chain(s)
Cl = Cluster—Yarn over, insert hook in indicated st and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook; [yarn over, insert hook in same st and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook] 3 times; yarn over and draw through all 5 loops on hook.
Dc = double crochet
Fsc = Foundation single crochet (This technique creates a foundation chain and a row of single crochet stitches in one) - Step 1: Place a slip knot on hook, ch 2, insert hook in 2nd ch from hook and draw up a loop; yarn over and draw through one loop on hook (the "chain"); yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook (the "single crochet"). Step 2: The following stitch is worked under the forward 2 loops of the stem of the previous stitch (into the "chain"). Insert hook into the face of the "chain" and under the nub at the back of the "chain", draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through one loop on hook (the "chain"), yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook (the "single crochet"). Repeat for the length of foundation.
sc = single crochet
shell = 4 tr in indicated ch (2nd ch of ch-3 space of next V-st).
Sl st = Slip stitch
tr = treble crochet
tr3tog = Treble crochet 3 together - *(Yarn over) twice, insert hook in next stitch and draw up a loop, (yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook) twice; repeat from * 2 more times, yarn over and draw through all 4 loops on hook.
tr4tog = Treble crochet 4 together - *(Yarn over) twice, insert hook in next stitch and draw up a loop, (yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook) twice; repeat from * 3 more times, yarn over and draw through all 5 loops on hook.
V-st = V-stitch - (dc, ch 1, dc) in indicated stitch or space.
Details & Instructions
|Approx.38"/96.5cm circumference by 19"/48cm wide|
|Contrast A Ocean (9759)||2|
|Contrast B Passion (0012)||1|
|Sizes US H-8 (5mm) or size to obtain gauge. Yarn needle.|
13 Fsc = 4"/10cm; In pattern, 3 shells = 3¾"/9.5cm, Rounds 1–3 = 2 3/4"/7cm(gauge is not critical for this project).
1. Scarf is worked in figure 8 (infinity) rounds, alternating two rounds worked with A and one round worked with B.
2. To change color, fasten off old color, and join new color as instructed.
3. Remember to turn after every round.
4. There is no obvious RS or WS to the stitch pattern or to the finished wrap.
1. To work in the top of a tr4tog: After turning, the backs of the tr4tog will be facing you. The top of the tr4tog is not the loop from the last step of the tr4tog (drawn through the last 5 loops on hook), it is the loop of the ch-1 that follows and closes the cluster. So, as the row faces you, it is the chain just to the right of the body of the tr4tog.
2. To work in a chain: For stability, work each 4-tr shell into the 2nd ch of the indicated ch-3 sp, not into the space. The back of the chains will be facing you. Insert hook in the chain under the nub and through the loops of the face, under 2 strands each time.
3. For a larger or smaller circumference scarf, add or omit Fsc in multiples of 4. Each additional 4 Fsc will allow one more pattern repeat (one V-st, shell, or tr4tog) to be worked. Each pattern repeat adds about 1 1/4"/3cm to the circumference.
4. For a wider or narrower scarf, add or omit repeats of Rounds 1–3 as desired before working the edging. Each additional repeat of Rounds 1–3 adds about 5 1/2"/14cm to the width.
Note: Begin with a foundation at the center, and work rounds to the edges.
With A, Fsc 128 loosely (to gauge). Turn foundation over so sc edge is on top, begin work across the sc edge.
Foundation Round: Ch 3, sk first sc, tr3tog over next 3 sc (beginning ch 3 and tr3tog counts as beginning tr4tog), [ch 4, tr4tog over next 4 sc] 31 times, turn; lay foundation flat, taking care not to twist piece yet, bring the ends together. Hold the end with the last loop in place, give a half-twist to the other end so that the chain edge of the foundation is on top; begin work across the chains, [ch 4, tr4tog over next 4 ch] 32 times, end with ch 4, sl st in top of beginning tr4tog, turn—32 tr4tog. Fasten off.
Note: There is a gap between the beginning and end of the Fsc that you can close now. Thread the beginning tail of the Fsc onto a yarn needle, loop it around the last ch of the foundation, sew back into the beginning Fsc, and if you wish, take a couple of stitches to secure the join.
Round 1: With B, Air tr in top of any tr4tog, V-st in top of each tr4tog around, end with tr in top of same tr4tog as first st, ch 3, sl st in first Air tr to complete beginning V-st, turn—64 V-sts. Fasten off.
Round 2: With A, Air tr in 2nd ch of ch-3 sp of any V-st, shell in 2nd ch of ch-3 sp of each remaining V-st around, end with 3 tr in same ch as beginning, sl st in beginning tr to complete beginning shell, turn—64 shells.
Round 3: Continue with A, ch 3, sk first tr (same tr as join), tr3tog over remaining 3 tr of beginning shell (beginning ch 3 and tr3tog counts as beginning tr4tog), *ch 4, tr4tog over 4 tr of next shell; repeat from * around, end with ch 4, sl st in top of beginning tr4tog, turn—64 tr4tog. Fasten off.
Rounds 4–9: Repeat Rounds 1–3 twice.
Edging Round: Join B with sl st in any ch-4 sp, ch 1, sc in same ch-4 sp, ch 2, Cl in top of next tr4tog, ch 2, *sc in next ch-4 sp, ch 2, Cl in top of next tr4tog; repeat from * around, end with sl st in first sc. Fasten off.
Using yarn needle, weave in all ends. Block wrap, as desired.
Tip: It might be unwieldy to try and block this infinity shape flat.