Practice the knit stitch and add a couple seams and make your first tea cozy!
Step 1:Select your options
- Single Size
To fit 4 cup tea pot.
Step 2:Click each color to change it or go with the colors recommended by the designer
Materials not included in this kit:
Large eye blunt needle. 4 safety pins.
RS = right side
st(s) = stitch(es)
WS = wrong side
Details & Instructions
|To fit 4 cup tea pot.|
|Main Color (MC) Robins Egg (01215)||2|
|Size 4.5 mm (U.S. 7) knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge. Large eye blunt needle. 4 safety pins.|
19 stitches and 32 rows = 4 inches [10 centimeters] in garter stitch.
Make 2 Squares.
Cast on 38 stitches.
- Make a slip knot: Loop the yarn as shown and slip needle under the lower strand of the loop.
- Reach through the loop you just made and pull up a loop of yarn.
- Pull the yarn end attached to the ball of yarn to tighten the slip knot leaving the other end approx 4 ins [10 cm] long. Transfer needle to left hand.
- Insert the right-hand needle through slip knot and wind yarn over right-hand needle.
- Pull loop through slip knot.
- Place new loop on left-hand needle. (You now have 2 stitches (sts) on your left-hand needle).
- Insert right-hand needle between last 2 stitches (sts) on left-hand needle and wind yarn over right-hand needle.
- Pull loop through. Place this new loop on left-hand needle beside last stitch (st). (You now have 1 more stitch on left-hand needle). Repeat (rep) steps 5 and 6 until required number of stitches (sts) have been cast on left-hand needle.
1st row: (Wrong side). Knit.
2nd row: (Right side). Knit.
The Knit Stitch
- Hold the needle with cast on stitches (sts) in your left hand, and the loose yarn attached to the ball at the back of work. Insert right-hand needle from left to right through the front of the first stitch (st) on the lefthand needle.
- Wind the yarn from left to right over the point of the right-hand needle.
- Draw the yarn through this original stitch (st) which forms a new stitch (st) on right-hand needle.
- Slip the original stitch (st) off the left-hand needle, keeping the new stitch (st) on the right-hand needle.
- To knit a row, repeat steps 1 to 4 until all stitches (sts) have been transferred from left-hand needle to right-hand needle. Turn the work by transferring the needle with stitches (sts) into your left hand to knit the next row.
Repeat these 2 rows for garter stitch pattern. Continue in pattern as established until work from beginning measures 8 inches [20.5 centimeters], ending with a Right side (2nd) row.
Cast off knitwise (Wrong side).
Knit the first 2 stitches (sts). *Using left-hand needle, lift first stitch (st) over second stitch (st) and drop it off between points of the 2 needles. Knit the next stitch (st); repeat (rep) from * until all stitches (sts) from left-hand needle have been worked and only 1 stitch (st) remains on the right-hand needle. Cut yarn (leaving enough to sew in end) and thread cut end through stitch (st) on needle. Draw yarn up firmly to fasten off last stitch (st).
Weave in ends.
Weaving in Ends
- What do you do with those dangling ends at the sides of your work? Never cut without darning them in first because they will not be secure and your knitting could easily unravel. Thread each end onto a blunt ended large eye needle and make small alternating stitches into the side of your work taking care not to pull too tightly.
- After you’ve worked up in one direction about 2 inches [5 cm] turn and work backwards alternating over the spaces you just worked. Now you can safely cut the end.
Sew squares together using a flat seam as shown in Diagram, noting striped squares will be placed sideways.
Place squares on top of one another with wrong sides facing each other. Mark side edges with safety pins 1 inch [2.5 centimeters] up from bottom edge, and 3 inches [7.5 centimeters] down from top edge. Sew edges together with a Flat Seam leaving area between safety pins open for spout and handle.
Thread a length of yarn onto large eye blunt-ended needle. Work a loose running stitch around circumference of Cozy 1 inch [2.5 centimeters] below top edge.
Draw yarn tightly to gather top of Cozy.