Felted Patchwork Bag
Felted Patchwork Bag
Bright and cheerful patchwork bag is fun to make and carry. Measures approx. 14" (35.5 cm) wide x 16" (40.5 cm) high. Shown in Patons Classic Wool #238 Paprika, #206 Russet, #205 Deep Olive and #204 Old Gold, using 4.5 mm (US 7) knitting needles.
Step 1:Select your options
- Single Size
Approx 14 ins [35.5 cm] wide x 16 ins [40.5 cm] high.
Step 2:Click each color to change it or go with the colors recommended by the designer
Details & Instructions
|Approx 14 ins [35.5 cm] wide x 16 ins [40.5 cm] high.|
|Main Color (MC) Paprika ()||3|
|B Deep Olive (00205)||2|
20 sts and 26 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st.
Important to know before felting
- Record all the measurements and changes before and after felting. You will be able to adjust the method to produce proper results.
- Always test a sample. Different colored yarns may felt differently.
- Colorfastness can be affected by very hot water.
- Any knitting that has been properly felted becomes very dense and matted.
- Put knitted pieces in top-loading washing machine. Using low water level, run a Hot/Cold cycle for 5-15 min. Put in a pair of jeans or large towel (in non-interfering color) for extra agitation.
- Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda for a small load. After one cycle, check for size. Repeat as necessary.
- Run through the rinse and spin cycle.
- Lay felted piece on a dry towel, away from heat or sunlight.
- Shape piece to correct measurements.
- Allow to dry thoroughly. Do not use a clothes dryer.
- If an edge ripples, baste a thread through the edge and gather in. Remove the thread after the felting is dry.
Piece A (make 1 each with MC, A and B)
Cast on 50 sts.
Proceed in stocking st until work from beg measures 20 ins [51 cm]. Cast off.
Piece B (make 1)
With B, cast on 35 sts.
Proceed in stocking st until work from beg measures 15 ins [38 cm]. Cast off.
With MC, cast on 11 sts.
1st row: K1. *P1. K1. Rep from * to end of row.
Rep last row for seed st pat until work from beg measures 95 ins [241.5 cm]. Cast off.
Felt all pieces.
Felted Piece A should measure approx 8 x 8 ins [20.5 x 20.5 cm]. Felted Piece B should measure approx 5½ x 11 ins [14 x 28 cm]. Handle/Gusset should measure approx 1¾x 72 ins [4 x 183 cm].
Cut eight 3½ ins [9 cm] Squares from each Piece A (24 squares in total) (see Diagram A). Cut four Triangle Motifs 4½ins [11.5 cm] wide x 5 ins [12.5 cm] high from Piece B (see Diagram B).
Trim Handle/Gusset to measure 70 ins [177.5 cm] long.
With RS of work facing and C, blanket st all squares and Triangle Motifs tog for Front and Back, as shown on Diagram . With RS of work facing and C, blanket st short sides of Handle/Gusset tog to form a ring, taking care not to twist Gusset. Pin Gusset to Front, with gusset seam at center bottom of Bag.
Starting at top of Triangle Motif, with RS of work facing and C, blanket st Handle/Gusset and Front tog. Rep for Back. With C, blanket stitch rem area of Handle.