Felted Knitting Needle Case
Felted Knitting Needle Case
Sturdy felted case is perfect for carrying your knitting needles! Approx. 12" (30.5 cm) x 15" (38 cm). Shown in Patons Classic Wool Grey Mix (#00224) and Dark Grey Mix (#00225). 5 mm (U.S. 8) knitting needles.
Step 1:Select your options
- Single Size
Approx 12 ins [30.5 cm] wide x 15 ins [38 cm] long.
Step 2:Click each color to change it or go with the colors recommended by the designer
Materials not included in this kit:
Embroidery floss. Beads. ⅝ inch [1.5 cm] ribbon 24 ins [61 cm] long.
rep = repeat
st(s) = stitch(es)
Details & Instructions
|Approx 12 ins [30.5 cm] wide x 15 ins [38 cm] long.|
|Dark Grey Mix (00225)||3|
|Change Color Here Grey Mix (00224)||3|
|Size 5 mm (U.S. 8) knitting needles, or size needed to obtain tension. Embroidery floss. Beads. ? inch [1.5 cm] ribbon 24 ins [61 cm] long.|
19 sts and 25 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st.
Patons Classic Wool Learn to Felt Instructions
Important to know before felting
- Record all the measurements and changes before and after felting. You will be able to adjust the method to produce proper results.
- Always test a sample. Different colored yarns may felt differently.
- Colorfastness can be affected by very hot water.
- Any knitting that has been properly felted becomes very dense and matted.
- Put knitted pieces in top-loading washing machine. Using low water level, run a Hot/Cold cycle for 5-15 min. Put in a pair of jeans or large towel (in non-interfering color) for extra agitation.
- Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda for a small load. After one cycle, check for size. Repeat as necessary.
- Run through the rinse and spin cycle.
- Lay felted piece on a dry towel, away from heat or sunlight.
- Shape piece to correct measurements.
- Allow to dry thoroughly. Do not use a clothes dryer.
- If an edge ripples, baste a thread through the edge and gather in. Remove the thread after the felting is dry.
Based on our calculations:
- After felting, the sample is approx 85% of the width and 75% of the length of the knitted sample before felting.Aftercare:
- You have spent a lot of time and care completing this Needle Case through its knitting and felting stages. A little thought to its aftercare will ensure that you will have this beautiful felted Needle Case for many years to come.
- After you have put it through the felting process, you may think that it has gone through the most vigorous and tortured wash that knitted yarn could ever endure. Now you assume that you can throw that felted item into the hot wash cycle along with your sheets. Do not do it! Treat your newly felted item with caution and care in order to avoid further distortion or shrinkage.
- Felted handknitting can always be improved by brushing.
- Even a slight pressing will give a smoother appearance to felted fabric. Always press lightly using a steam iron and a damp cloth. Never press down on the fabric but hold the iron just above the fabric.
Cast on 82 sts.
Proceed in stocking st (knit one row, purl the next row) until work from beg measures 36 ins [91.5 cm], ending with RS facing for next row. Cast off.
Piece for Flower Motifs
Cast on 35 sts. Proceed in stocking st until work from beg measures 7 ins [18 cm]. Cast off.
Felt all pieces. Felted “Needle Case” should measure approx 14 ins [35.5 cm] wide x 27 ins [68.5 cm] long.
Felted “Piece for Flower Motifs” should measure approx 6 ins [15 cm] wide x 5¼ ins [13 cm] long.
Cut Needle Case 25 ins [63.5 cm] long x 12 ins [30.5 cm] wide. Fold up bottom 10 ins [25.5 cm] to form a pocket. With embroidery floss, blanket st along sides and top of Case, working through both thicknesses where necessary. Mark center of pocket. With embroidery floss, sew through both thicknesses from bottom to top of pocket along center line. Rep stitching 2 ins [5 cm] apart on both sides to form slots for knitting needles.
Trace and cut 2 Big and 1 Small Flower Motifs.
Sew Flower Motifs in position. Decorate with beads as shown in picture.
Fold Needle Case in half lengthwise. Wrap ribbon around Case and tie as shown in picture. Tack ribbon to Case if desired.