Felted & Knit Patchwork Bag
Felted & Knit Patchwork Bag
A cheery patchwork bag with alternating felt and knitted squares. Approx. 14" (35.5 cm) x 16" (40.5 cm). Shown in Patons Classic Wool #240 Leaf Green, #204 Old Gold, #208 Burgundy and #227 Taupe. 4 mm (US 6) & 4.5 mm (US 7) knitting needles.
Step 1:Select your options
- Single Size
Approx 14 ins [35.5 cm] wide x 16 ins [40.5 cm] high.
Step 2:Click each color to change it or go with the colors recommended by the designer
Beg = beginning
rep = repeat
RS = right side
st(s) = stitch(es)
Details & Instructions
|Approx 14 ins [35.5 cm] wide x 16 ins [40.5 cm] high.|
|Main Color (MC) Leaf Green (00240)||1|
|Contrast A ()||1|
|Contrast B Burgundy (00208)||2|
|Contrast C Taupe (00227)||2|
|Sizes 4 mm (U.S. 6) and 4.5 mm (U.S. 7) knitting needles or size needed to obtain tension.|
20 sts and 36 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] with smaller needles in garter st.
Important to know before felting
- Record all the measurements and changes before and after felting. You will be able to adjust the method to produce proper results.
- Always test a sample. Different colored yarns may felt differently.
- Colorfastness can be affected by very hot water.
- Any knitting that has been properly felted becomes very dense and matted.
- Put knitted pieces in top-loading washing machine. Using low water level, run a Hot/Cold cycle for 5-15 min. Put in a pair of jeans or large towel (in non-interfering color) for extra agitation.
- Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda for a small load. After one cycle, check for size. Repeat as necessary.
- Run through the rinse and spin cycle.
- Lay felted piece on a dry towel, away from heat or sunlight.
- Shape piece to correct measurements.
- Allow to dry thoroughly. Do not use a clothes dryer.
- If an edge ripples, baste a thread through the edge and gather in. Remove the thread after the felting is dry.
Garter Square (make 12)
With smaller needles and MC, cast on 17 sts.
Work in garter st (knit every row), until work measures 3½ ins [9 cm]. Cast off knitways.
Piece A (make 1 of each with A, B and C)
With larger needles, cast on 55 sts.
Work in stocking st until piece from beg measures 12 ins [30.5 cm]. Cast off.
Piece B (make 1)
With larger needles and B, cast on 35 sts.
Work in stocking st until piece from beg measures 15 ins [38 cm]. Cast off.
With larger needles and B, cast on 11 sts.
1st row: (RS). K1. *P1. K1. Rep from * to end of row.
Rep last row for seed st pat until work from beg measures 95 ins [241.5 cm]. Cast off.
Felt Pieces A, B and Handle/Gusset.
Felted Piece A should measure approx 8 x 8 ins [20.5 x 20.5 cm]. Felted Piece B should measure approx 5½ x 11 ins [14 x 28 cm]. Handle/Gusset Piece should measure approx 1¾ x 72 ins [4 x 183 cm].
Cut four 3½ ins [9 cm] Squares from each Piece A (12 squares in total) (see Diagram A).
Cut four Triangle Motifs 4½ ins [11.5 cm] wide x 5 ins [12.5 cm] high from Piece B (see Diagram B).
Trim Handle/Gusset to measure 70 ins [177.5 cm] long.
With RS of work facing and C, blanket stitch all squares and Triangle Motifs for Front and Back, as shown on Diagram I. With RS of work facing and C, blanket st ends of Handle/Gusset tog to form a ring, taking care not to twist gusset. Pin Gusset to Front, with gusset seam at center bottom of Bag.
Starting at top of triangle motif, with RS of work facing and C, blanket st Handle/Gusset and Front tog. Rep for Back. With C, blanket stitch rem area of Handle.