Felted Houndstooth Bag
Felted Houndstooth Bag
Classic Houndstooth Bag. Approx. 11.5" (29 cm) wide x 8.5" (21.5 cm) high. Shown in Patons Classic Wool. 4.5 mm (US 7) knitting needles. Four 4.5mm (U.S. 7) double-pointed knitting needles. 3/4 yard [0.7m] 1/2" [1cm] thick cable cord.
Step 1:Select your options
- Single Size
Approx 11½ ins [29 cm] wide x 8½ ins [21.5 cm] high.
Step 2:Click each color to change it or go with the colors recommended by the designer
Materials not included in this kit:
¾ yard [0.7 m] of ½ inch [1 cm] thick cable cord.
rep = repeat
rnd(s) = round(s)
RS = right side
st(s) = stitch(es)
WS = wrong side
Details & Instructions
|Approx 11½ ins [29 cm] wide x 8½ ins [21.5 cm] high.|
|Main Color (MC) Black (00226)||2|
|Contrast A Winter White (00201)||1|
|Contrast B Bright Red (00230)||1|
|Size 4.5 mm (U.S. 7) knitting needles. Set of four size 4.5 mm (U.S. 7) double pointed knitting needles or size needed to obtain tension. ¾ yard [0.7 m] of ½ inch [1 cm] thick cable cord.|
20 sts and 26 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st.
Important to know before felting
- Record all the measurements and changes before and after felting. You will be able to adjust the method to produce proper results.
- Always test a sample. Different colored yarns may felt differently.
- Colorfastness can be affected by very hot water.
- Any knitting that has been properly felted becomes very dense and matted.
- Put knitted pieces in top-loading washing machine. Using low water level, run a Hot/Cold cycle for 5-15 min. Put in a pair of jeans or large towel (in non-interfering color) for extra agitation.
- Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda for a small load. After one cycle, check for size. Repeat as necessary.
- Run through the rinse and spin cycle.
- Lay felted piece on a dry towel, away from heat or sunlight.
- Shape piece to correct measurements.
- Allow to dry thoroughly. Do not use a clothes dryer.
- If an edge ripples, baste a thread through the edge and gather in. Remove the thread after the felting is dry.
Note: When working from chart, carry yarn loosely across WS of work but never over more than 5 sts. When it must pass over more than 5 sts, weave it over and under color in use on next st or at center point of sts it passes over.
Front and Back Section
With MC and pair of needles, cast on 88 sts.
Work rows 1 to 18 of Chart I in stocking st to end of chart reading knit rows from right to left and purl rows from left to right noting 7 st rep will be worked 11 times.
Last 18 rows form Chart Pat.
Cont in Chart Pat until work from beg measures 35½ ins [90 cm] ending with RS facing for next row. Cast off with MC.
With MC and pair of needles, cast on 38 sts.
Work 16 ins [40.5 cm] in stocking st ending with RS facing for next row. Cast off.
With MC and set of four needles, cast on 9 sts. Divide sts evenly on 3 needles and place a marker on first st.
Knit in rnds until work from beg measures 28 ins [71 cm]. Cast off.
Felt all pieces.
Using Diagram, cut Front and Back and Side sections to measurements. Pin sides in position, noting narrow end is at top of Bag.
Using 2 strands of B, work blanket st embroidery to join Sides to Front and Back. Cont embroidery around front of flap as illustrated.
Trim Strap to measure 23 ins [58.5 cm]. Insert cable cord through center of Strap. Secure ends of cord to Strap to prevent Strap from stretching. Sew ends of Strap to tops of Side sections.