Felted "Hat" Accessories
Step 1:Select your options
- Single Size
Approx 2 ins ½ [6 cm] in diameter after felting.
Step 2:Click each color to change it or go with the colors recommended by the designer
Materials not included in this kit:
6 ins [15 cm] ribbon 3 mm wide for hatband. Pin backing for lapel pin. Key chain hardware for key chain. Stick pin and backing for hat pin. Small clip for purse decoration.
Ch(s) = Chain(s)
Rnd = Round
sc = single crochet
Sl st = Slip stitch
Details & Instructions
|Approx 2 ins ½ [6 cm] in diameter after felting.|
|Main Color (MC) ()||1|
|1 ball will make approx 12 Hats. Size 5 mm (U.S. H or 8) crochet hook or size needed to obtain tension. 6 ins [15 cm] ribbon 3 mm wide for hatband. Glue. Pin backing for lapel pin. Key chain hardware for key chain. Stick pin and backing for hat pin. Small clip for purse decoration.|
12 sc and 12 rows = 4 ins [10 cm].
Important to know before felting
- Record all the measurements and changes before and after felting. You will be able to adjust the method to produce proper results.
- Always test a sample. Different colored yarns may felt differently.
- Colorfastness can be affected by very hot water.
- Any knitting that has been properly felted becomes very dense and matted.
- Put knitted pieces in top-loading washing machine. Using low water level, run a Hot/Cold cycle for 5-15 min. Put in a pair of jeans or large towel (in non-interfering color) for extra agitation.
- Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda for a small load. After one cycle, check for size. Repeat as necessary.
- Run through the rinse and spin cycle.
- Lay felted piece on a dry towel, away from heat or sunlight.
- Shape piece to correct measurements.
- Allow to dry thoroughly. Do not use a clothes dryer.
- If an edge ripples, baste a thread through the edge and gather in. Remove the thread after the felting is dry.
1st rnd: 5 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Join with sl st to form a ring.
2nd rnd: Ch 1. 2 sc in each sc around. Join with sl st to first sc.10 sc.
3rd rnd: Ch 1. (1 sc in next sc. 2 sc in next sc) 5 times. Join with sl st to first sc. 15 sc.
4th and 5th rnd: Ch 1. 1 sc in each sc around. Join with sl st to first sc.
6th rnd: Ch 1. (1 sc in each of next 2 sc. 2 sc in next sc) 5 times. Join with sl st to first sc. 20 sc.
7th rnd: Ch 1. (1 sc in each of next 3 sc. 2 sc in next sc) 5 times. Join with sl st to first sc. 25 sc.
8th rnd: As 4th rnd. Fasten off.
FINISHING: Felt Hat following How to Felt instructions. Shape Hat while wet and allow to dry away from heat and direct sunlight. Wrap ribbon around Hat for hatband as shown in picture and glue in position. Glue or sew pin backing to back of Hat brim for Lapel Pin. Sew key chain to edge of Hat brim for Key Chain. Attach stick pin to back of Hat brim for Hat Pin. Sew clip to back of Hat brim for Purse Clip.