Ta-da! The baby sweater (and socks) is finished. The top-down raglan pattern was quite easy to follow, although I had some trouble with picking up stitches along the left and right button bands. I love the self-patterning yarn for this sweater, as it gives it a more complicated design look than a solid might. It was also soft to work with and glided across my bamboo double-pointed needles. I made the 18 month size for my son's 14-month body to grow into.
Stay tuned for my next project -- a handknit just for me!
I did make one minor alteration to the pattern: the sleeves seemed like they were getting too long so I decreased the number of rows between the decreases from 8 to 6, getting it to the resulting 36 stitches a little sooner.