Without further ado, meet my new friend:
Isn't he cute?! I just love his happy face. My son loves him too and calls him "Eggy". Unfortunately, my octopus is without appendages and may remain so for a while. I'd like to start the monster body first before working on any appendages (maybe it was a bad idea to be working on two toys at the same time because unlike my little green friend, I only have two arms . . . actually, my green friend has no arms, but he will eventually have eight of them).
I'm so happy this pattern worked the body in the round because there was no seaming (have I mentioned that I dislike seaming?). And I do like that the pattern asked me to stuff BEFORE finishing the decreases; it would have been very awkward to stuff it with only a small opening. After stuffing, I waited a day before finishing. Sometimes the stuffing settles and more is needed to give the toy a full appearance (although the way my son is squeezing the thing, poor "Eggy" might be squashed before he gets all his legs attached!).
I also embroidered the face details before finishing the head. I used black sock yarn from my stash. My hand-sewing skills are very, very poor--nevermind embroidery. I wanted to be able to secure the ends inside the octopus head (nobody wants an eye or smile to unravel, least of all my son).
Here's hoping I've got a monster to share with you next week.